On bends in the road


They tell me that when you go through the arch the mist is gone ...


But …
I’m afraid to go and see for myself
I don’t know if that’s so
I haven’t gone there

But …
maybe the mist will lift here soon,
maybe the mist will reach there soon,
maybe I don’t mind mist so much,

and …
I know this side so well.
I don’t know what’s at the other side.
I don’t know who’s at the other side

and …
maybe I like where I am now,
maybe I am happy on this side of the arch
there’s nothing wrong with this side.


They tell me that there’s no mist there.
But I can’t see around the turn in the road.


I don’t need to go there

But
I could

But
why would I

It might be lovely there.
But it’s safe here,
and familiar.

But …
to move is to change, and
movement is good, change is good, but
to change brings fear


To take the turn is frightening
But take the turn anyway.


I can’t see it
                      yet 
                             but
                                    They tell me that when you go through the arch the mist is gone ...



photo: Sr Marie Redmond OP


Based on ideas and conversations inspired by Ted Dunn, Graced Crossroads, Pathways to Deep Change and Transformation. This work on the topic of transformation and change in religious communities speaks of the need to “make the turn” or to take the “bend in the road” in order to survive.

Comments

  1. Beautiful Eileen ... this morning especially! There is a deep fog outside, now ... I have to go through it to get to a place, literally ... this morning, that I have stressed over for 2 weeks!!! Thank you for this - especially this morning! LOVE -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn’t that amazing that this found you when you need it? Or maybe it’s not really so surprising … but I am glad and I hope this morning about which you were anxious went well for you x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my writing. I'm interested to hear your thoughts - please share.

Popular posts from this blog

Be careful what you pray for!

‘The kingdom of God will be ... given to a people who will produce its fruit.’

Longest, darkest night