Earth, Teach Me Stillness

'Earth, teach me stillness
Earth, teach me stillness' 
In my mind often, 
these words, 
like a mantra

But I’ve noticed:
Earth is not still.

I might even teach it a thing or two about stillness.

If you sit in the Brockaghs, in the heather,
the buzz of bees and hoverflies is deafening
while the birds - so many - outdo one another in song - each more insistent,
grasshoppers accompanying with their drum-like beat 

bracken crackles - at a later time of year - as its seed-heads pop

to say nothing of the earth hurtling through space
spinning all the while on its axis.

Earth is not still.

I might even teach it a thing or two about stillness. Yet 
it teaches me,
silences me,
stills me.
It teaches me
stillness.
Earth teaches me stillness.
Let me learn 
and well


05.08.21








Comments

  1. Eileen - this is so beautiful ...the pictures too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aneesah! Glad you like - if you could share and widen my reach, I'd be chuffed ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my writing. I'm interested to hear your thoughts - please share.

Popular posts from this blog

Be careful what you pray for!

‘The kingdom of God will be ... given to a people who will produce its fruit.’

Longest, darkest night