Psalm for a time of emotional volatility

A prayer for a time of emotional volatility
    ~ or for when you experience yourself fall off the metaphorical cliff





Lord I have fallen over the cliff, again.
I didn't teeter on the edge this time.
Yes I was tired, body and soul weary; there was that but
I wasn't even close to the edge when
    the
        free
            fall
                plunge
                    happened

and now


It’s like the ground has vanished under my feet and I’m free-falling
in emotions that overwhelm me -
strong, difficult emotions
emptiness

Crying tears of fear or anxiety or sadness, I am
frightened,
tired,
afraid,
trapped,
locked in,
alone

Not calm but dead-minded, numb and hurting together.

I've fallen off the cliff Lord and it’s frightening.
I feel so afraid
and
alone

overwhelmed in the emptiness

and there's no one

nobody
to turn to,
no one
to talk to,
here or anywhere

Not one who can understand

What do I do?
Where do I turn?
Lord, are you there?
Why don't you answer?
Where are you?
Let me feel your reassurance.

I've fallen off the cliff Lord.
Let me know you are with me.
Let me know your presence.

I've fallen off the cliff Lord.

Free fall with me and slow me down so that I can remember that I'm not falling. I'm on the solid ground of You




** written for a friend who feels she has fallen off the cliff - and for all who feel they are free-falling at the moment. 
May they feel the solid ground of You, Lord. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be careful what you pray for!

‘The kingdom of God will be ... given to a people who will produce its fruit.’

Longest, darkest night